Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Top 20 Guitar Solos Of The 20th Century By BeMetalways

Just a few years after discovering rock and metal, I started to play the guitar. Unfortunately, I don't play it often these days but I still love it. This list is heavily influenced by the first songs I learned or the first guitar heroes of that time (late 80's/early 90's). The criteria is a mix of musical proficiency and emotions. But mostly, guitar solos that mean something to me. The playlist on Spotify can be found here.

20-Money by David Gilmour (Pink Floyd, 1973)
Another guitar here of mine while I was growing up. Out of one of the best rock albums of all times, Money has a collection of very cool solos as only Gilmour sensibility and phrasing can produce. We can split the solo in three parts, the high tempo solo following the sax solo, the bluesy part which sounds amazing specially on headphones and then the final high tempo part.

19-Sometimes I Feel Like Screaming by Steve Morse (Deep Purple, 1996)
Steve joining DP was a positive surprise to me at the time. This song is by far my favorite of his tenure with the band. It's such a unique and amazing riff using artificial harmonics which seamlessly blends with the guitar solo.

18-Daddy, Brother, Lover, Little Boy by Paul Gilbert (Mr. Big, 1996)
It's such a fun song. The solo is quite short but Paul shreds through it and the cherry on top of the cake is the use of a drill machine to close the solo.

17-Cemetery Gates by Dimebag Darrell (Pantera, 1990)
The mighty Dimebag! I love this song and the solo specifically because it starts very melodic and then goes into shredding mode like only he could so it.

16-Crazy Train by Randy Rhoads (Ozzy Osbourne, 1980)
Another one on the list who left us way too soon. Of all the possible choices, I choose this one because my University band use to play this song and I always loved when the solos kicks in. In any case, anything Randy recorded was magical. So safe choice.

15-Painkiller by Glenn Tipton (Judas Priest, 1990)
One of the best albums of all time! This solo is regarded by many as Tipton at his best. It's so energetic and yet melodic and technical.

14-Symphony Of Destruction by Marty Friedman (Megadeth, 1992)
This ones brings the memories when it was released and I had a high school band. Very nicely constructed solo by Marty, I love how he uses the whole neck in relatively short solo.

13-5150 by Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen, 1986)
There's can't be best of guitar list without Eddie. A genius! You can really pick any of his solos, if live even better. I choose 5150 also because I was learning how to play it during high school and fell in love with the riffs and solo on this.

12-Pride and Joy by Stevie Ray Vaughan (Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble, 1983)
Another hero from my teenage years who left us way too soon. This is of course blues and therefore different from any other players in the list. His unique style was so impressive. Particularly here in the way Stevie uses the whole fretboard and different techniques.

11-Tumeni Notes by Steve Morse (Steve Morse, 1989)
I love this album and specially this song. It's basically an arpeggio lesson and it can be argued that the whole song is a guitar solo. So much to learn from it...

10-Edge of Thorns by Chris Oliva (Savatage, 1993)
One of the most underrated players in this list, Chris left us way too soon but his legacy remains. He was a very melodic player and this masterpiece of a song is one of the best examples.

9-Sweet Child O' Mine by Slash (Guns N' Roses, 1987)
Who hasn't heard this one? If Chris was underrated, Slash may be overrated, but still he also has a great sensibility for melodic solos and despite this song being a cliche, I still like it. It bring a lot of memories from the 80's.

8-Stairway To Heaven by Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin, 1971)
Sorry for another cliche song, but there's a reason why! It's a brilliant song from one of the best bands in rock music and an absolutely amazing player.

7-For the Love of God by Steve Vai (Steve Vai, 1990)
This was a new album when I started playing guitar and I was mesmerized by this song. It's almost a 6-min solo. It is not only super technical (using 7 strings) but so beautiful and melodic. So many techniques and tools are used that it becomes a guitar master class for students.

6-One by Kirk Hammett (Metallica, 1988)
Growing up learning rock guitar in the 80's means that you were influenced by Kirk and James in one way or another. This album was particularly important to me and with the song book in hands I learned most of those songs and solos. I loved Kirk's playing in the 80's, his solos sounded great and yet they were very fluent to play.

5-Far Beyond the Sun by Yngwie Malmsteen (Rising Force, 1984)
This one needs no introduction! Another almost 6-min solo. No need to say how influential this song, album and player have been to so many guitarists. I regret that when I was at my peak year I didn't try to learn it. Now it's just not possible.

4-Stranger in a Strange Land by Adrian Smith (Iron Maiden, 1986)
Maybe the first guitar solo I ever learned how to play from my personal guitar hero. I love the big emphasis the song places on this solo. It's very melodic with a build up that gives me goose bumps every time.

3-2 Minutes To Midnight by Adrian Smith & Dave Murray (Iron Maiden, 1984)
I bought the guitar book with all tabs from Powerslave and Somewhere in Time. This song was probably the second Maiden song I ever learned how to play. I love both solos and specially how they transition into each other. I really enjoyed playing it, Adrian's part using the pentatonic  scales, simple and yet effective.

2-Comfortably Numb by David Gilmour (Pink Floyd, 1979)
The master of playing and choosing the right notes at the right time. David is absolutely a major influence to me and Pink Floyd. Here we don't have just one, but two solos. The very slow and melodic one at the middle of the song and the longer one at the end. I actually miss when bands would finish songs with guitar solos. This is an absolute guitar masterclass.

1-Crushing Day by Joe Satriani (Joe Satriani, 1987)
This song and solos are so amazing that I literally wanna cry when I listen to it. It brings me tons of memories as I spent countless hours trying to learn it. Joe is by far my favorite virtuoso player and I love his discography. His sensibility and technique is just jaw dropping. 

Honorable mentions: 

Let It Be by George Harrison (The Beatles, 1970)
My favorite rock band didn't quite make it to the list but Harrison has to be acknowledged. This was one of the, if not the, first solos I tried to learn. Like the whole song, it features great melody, and additionally the heavy guitar tone gives it a lot of punch.

Flight Of The Icarus by Adrian Smith & Dave Murray (Iron Maiden, 1983)
By far the two most influential guitar players as I was learning how to play. Not surprisingly from my favorite metal band. But regardless, this is a fantastic solo, well, it's actually 3 solos. First Dave then Adrian in the middle of the song and then the final solo from Dave. Overall it represents the work of those two. It's short but impressive and very melodic. Dave uses lots of licks in his first solo as he usually does and then the transition to Adrian's solo with the initial bend is just perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment